Sports betting and online bookmakers are legal in Australia. There is no better to time to jump on one of the best AUD betting sites and place your bets from anywhere. Australian betting sites we list on this page accept punters from all territories and welcome them with no deposit free bets, deposit bonuses, and odds boosts. Here are our top-rated sportsbooks for Australian residents:
Readers wondering if it is legal to bet on sports in your area, the laws affecting sports betting odds, and how you can get started are in the right place. This page will explain all pressing areas surrounding online betting Down Under, including a list of the most prominent Australian sportsbooks.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Australia?
Sports betting and online sports betting are perfectly legal in Australia. The following bodies are responsible for regulating online betting activities for each state, and also provide a list of approved operators on their sites:
- Western Australia (Department of Racing, Gaming, and Liquor)
- Northern Territory (Licensing Commission)
- Queensland (Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation)
- South Australia (Independent Gambling Authority)
- Tasmania (Tasmanian Gaming Commission)
- New South Wales (Office of Liquor, Gaming, and Racing)
- Australian Capital Territory (Act Gambling and Racing Commission)
The Interactive Gambling Act 2001 is the main legislation affecting the current gambling landscape in Australia. It was introduced to restrict gambling services in order to protect Australians from overspending and excessive gambling.
Based on this law, and the amendments that followed in 2016, the following rules apply:
- All interactive gambling activities, like online pokies, roulette, blackjack, and poker are illegal in Australia. However, brick-and-mortar casinos are widely accessible in Australia (see NSW casinos, Queensland casinos, Tasmania casinos, and OZ pokies)
- On the other hand, sports betting, lotteries, and horse racing betting are legal. As a rule of thumb, anything classed as a game of skill is legal to bet at retail locations and online.
- Each Australian state is responsible for regulating and enforcing restrictions on bookmakers, racebooks, etc. As a result, the authorities we have noted above have been established and hand out licenses to overseas operators that meet certain criteria.
- Restrictions that apply to sports betting activities here include no live bets, no advertising of real money gambling services, and no bonuses for bettors in NSW, Victoria, South Australia, and Western Australia.
- ACMA is the authority responsible for overseeing the marketing and online activities of operators.
- Players who bet online must be 18+ and the sportsbooks are responsible for verifying their personal details before accepting any bets.
The above are the Australian sports betting and gambling laws in a nutshell. Something worth noting is that the IGA doesn’t really place any punishment on bettors who engage in online sports betting with operators that do not hold an Australian iGaming license. As a result, online casinos and sports betting sites based overseas freely accept Australians and provide them with the features otherwise blocked here – stunning sportsbook bonuses, in-play bets, and a ton of betting markets and odds.
As a user, you can rely on Pokies.bet to find the best legal and offshore sportsbooks to bet on your favourite team or player.
Legal Sports Betting Sites Australia Listed
Although we don’t love Aussie betting sites that hold local licenses due to the restrictions they need to abide by, here is a list of such operators you can bet on from most territories:
- Sportsbet.com.au (live since 1993)
- Picklebet.com.au (previously Skrilla)
- BoomBet.com.au (previously SportsBetting.com.au)
You can find more licensed operators based on your location by visiting the gaming regulators in your territory. Most of the above hold licenses to take bets across the country.
Best Australian Betting Sites Rated & Reviewed (2023)
With sports betting online activities being legal Down Under, choosing a licensed site like the ones we’ve listed above helps have peace of mind. You don’t worry about getting paid or the operator going rogue.
Having said this, many international betting sites licensed by Curacao accept players from Australia and offer a sportsbook and casino lobby. Since these sites aren’t regulated at a local level, they can offer many more betting markets (including live bets), outstanding bonuses for new and existing players, and competitive odds for all sports you can think of.
And they deliver in the above areas while also remaining safe, secure, and reliable. But you shouldn’t pick an overseas betting site on a whim – choose one our team has reviewed and approved like the ones below.
Wazamba is a Curacao-licensed gambling site, where you can start betting from as low as A$15. You can access this site and make payments via credit cards, cryptocurrencies, eWallets, prepaid cards, and more. It has been in operation for nearly five years, constantly growing its player base and delivering on its promises.
The Wazamba Sportsbook features four main tabs: Sportsbook, Live Betting, Virtuals, and Horse Racing. They feature 40+ sports and 20,000+ odds on upcoming events. The site is easy to navigate and you can begin your betting journey with a 100% match up to A$150! Free bets, sports jackpots, accumulator boosts, and more follow.
13.Bets.io is also licensed by Curacao and owned by the Hollycorn N.V. gambling group. It’s a crypto-first betting site, supporting BTC, LTC, DOGE, etc. payments, but also takes fiat currencies via Visa, MasterCard, Skrill, Neteller, PayPal, Neosurf, etc. Players receive 24/7 customer care and can bet online, on mobile, or via the 13Bets.io apps.
Australian punters will find sports and a live sports section with subcategories for 20+ sports, including Boxing, MMA, Cricket, Aussie Rules, and even eSports like LOL and Dota 2. New users who bet with 13Bets.io get a 2×100% match, a 75% bonus, and a 50% deposit bonus across their first deposits. The fun doesn’t stop there, with rewarding promo codes and loyalty rewards when you come back for more bets.
Sportaza is a sister site to Wazamba and is also operated by the same company, Rabidi N.V. Similarly, it holds a Curacao license and starts you off with a 100% bonus up to A$150 on your first deposit. More similar offers follow.
This Australian betting site has one of the easiest-to-navigate sportsbooks and offers odds that compete with huge sites like bet365 and Unibet. Their support and banking department is way better, offering around-the-clock support and payments in both fiat and cryptocurrencies. Users worldwide have been rating Sportaza as their number-one destination for all things betting.
Rabona is another top-rated sportsbook in Australia that performs great across the board. It has a 5-star rating customer support team, a casino with 7,000+ games, 10+ banking methods supporting payments from as low as A$20, and more.
Their live betting section has odds 24/7 on multiple sports, including soccer, cricket, tennis, table tennis, football, eSports, handball, and basketball. You can also view these when navigating their sportsbook section covering 50+ sports and thousands of markets. New users who place their bet get 100% risk-free insurance up to A$75 or a 4-step deposit bonus package. Additional weekly reload bonuses and accumulator insurance bets follow.
Slottica is a less-known site, but it has one of the best online casinos and sportsbooks we have encountered. You can sign-up in seconds and access 10,000+ casino games from 100+ vendors, around-the-clock support, industry-leading bonuses, a VIP scheme, and a sportsbook like no other.
You can place bets on Cybesport, Virtual Sports, or 30+ sports with thousands of odds on various matches. All types of bets are supported here, including live streaming and betting. Players can also plan ahead by visiting their sports betting calendar section.
Common Questions About Australian Online Betting Answered
Can I bet on sports online in Australia?
You can bet on sports online in Australia, by choosing one of the trusted and legal operators listed on this page. You can set up an account and place a bet in seconds using any device, as long as you are over 18 and make a minimum deposit of A$10.
How does online sports betting work in Australia?
How online sports betting works in Australia are you choose a site, create an account, make a deposit, visit the sportsbook section, pick an event, select the odds, and confirm the bet. If you guessed correctly, the sportsbook will add the profit to your balance and you can cash out your winnings.
How can I fund my online sportsbook account?
The banking options supported at each Australian betting site vary, but you can expect the following:
- Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Maestro)
- Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, USDT, Dogecoin)
- eWallets (Skrill, PayPal, Neteller, ecoPayz)
- Prepaid Cards (Neosurf, Flexepin, Paysafe)
- Banking Methods (Direct Bank Transfers, Trustly, PayID, Bpay)
Not all methods can be used for both deposits and withdrawals, but you will have at least 3 – 4 alternatives at your disposal.
What is the minimum age to bet on sports in Australia?
Australian laws set the minimum gambling age limit at 18. Sportsbooks ensure you meet this criterion through a KYC process, where you’ll be asked to upload proof of identity, address, and payment method.
How low can I bet on sports?
Sports betting in Australia is legal in both offline and online settings. The latter is more convenient and can be done in the following way:
- Pick an Australian-friendly betting site from this page and visit it.
- Click to register an account, and input the required information, such as username, password, full name, address, email, etc.
- Visit the cashier section and make a deposit meeting the minimums. You can use a range of banking options and your money will come through instantly indifferently.
- After your bonus money is credited (unless you opt out), visit the sport you want to bet on (i.e., Handball), select a league (i.e., World), and then Championship (i.e., Women). Then, you have to pick the odds, and the event will show in your betslip. Set your wager, and the bet will be placed.
- Next, you have to wait until the bet is settled, and if you win the sportsbook will credit the funds in your account.
Do online sportsbooks pay real money?
All online sportsbooks we have listed on this page pay out real money as long as you make a deposit and verify your account details. Payouts can take up to 72 hours depending on the methods, but ensure you meet the minimum withdrawal threshold and have cleared all playthrough requirements.
What sports are available to bet on in Australia?
Each sportsbook will offer a different range of sports and events to bet on in Australia, but the most common markets include:
- Aussie Rules
- Ice Hockey
- Virtual Sports
- Table Tennis
- Martial Arts
- Horse Racing
- American Football
- Formula 1
- Water Polo
After selecting a category, you’ll be presented with the sports event calendar and odds for each match.
Is Australian sports betting the same as in other countries?
Each country has different laws and regulations to enable or restrict online betting. In Australia, each state is responsible for licensing overseas sportsbooks, while Curacao and unlicensed sites also operate without many restrictions.
Bettors must be 18+ to place a bet online, and licensed Australian betting sites do not promote real money odds nor take live bets – the same restrictions do not apply to legit offshore sportsbooks we’ve reviewed here.
Can I bet on sports with my mobile?
Bet365, Unibet, SportsBet, PointsBet, and the majority of licensed betting sites enable betting via mobile browsers and iOS/Android apps. On the other hand, offshore betting sites can only be accessed via desktops, laptops, and mobile browsers.
No matter how you choose to bet on the move, the experience is similar.
Which are the best online sportsbooks in Australia?
This is largely subjective, and a separate list can be created for each Australian state. The most visited sportsbooks in Australia are Sportsbet.com.au, bet365.com.au, tab.com.au, soprevod.net, and flashscore.com.au.
Among international betting sites that accept punters Down Under we assigned the highest ratings to Rabona, Sportaza, Wazamba, Slottica, and 13Bets.io sportsbooks.
Is sports betting legal in Australia?
Sports betting and all games of skill are considered legal in Australia based on the IGA 2001. Each state has a gambling authority responsible for regulating operator activities, assigning licenses, and protecting players.
International betting sites aren’t subject to the same rules, and Aussies can still bet there without being liable for breaking any laws.
What bets can I place at Aussie sportsbooks?
Like with sports, betting types vary from one sportsbook to another. The ones you’ll find almost universally include:
- Straight/Outright bets
- Accumulator bets
- Proposition/novelty bets
- Spread bets
- Handicap bets
Each betting type comes with pros and cons you need to weigh them based on your budget and experience.
Can tourists bet in Australia?
Yes, tourists can bet in Australia both online and in retail locations. However, to complete the online KYC checks a tourist would have to be able to provide proof of address in the form of a utility bill or it will be impossible to get paid.
Do I need to bet taxes for my winning bets at Australian sportsbooks?
Outside of professional gamblers and sports bettors, the ATO clearly states that gambling winnings are not classed as income and are therefore tax-free.
Is there real customer support at Aussie betting sites?
All betting sites we recommend offer email support, 24/7 live chat support, and a FAQ page, and some even provide a free-toll number for Australians. If you have a query, you’ll get help in no time.
How We Rate Online Sportsbooks for Australians
If you are still with us, you must have noticed that we aren’t fans of licensed and regulated betting sites in Australia. That’s because these operators do not giveaway bonuses, nor take live bets Down Under.
Why have that, when you can instead choose an equally great betting site without any restrictions? Our recommended betting sites aren’t just licensed – they also outperform many of the ‘typically best’ sportsbooks in a number of areas:
- Bonuses –Any betting site from our list will double your first deposit with real money sports bonus funds and also boost subsequent deposits. Free bets, insurance bonuses, VIP rewards, and more will be provided if you become a loyal customer.
- Banking Methods – With our suggestions, you won’t just have a few eWallets and credit card providers at your betting disposal. You can employ cryptocurrencies and enjoy instant payments from as low as A$1, A$5, or A$10, depending on the operator. Some no minimum deposit betting sites also exist.
- Odds & Markets – The odds you’ll get at overseas betting sites compared to Aussie-licensed sportsbooks will be slightly inferior. That’s a fact. However, you’ll be able to redeem 24/7 bonuses that even remove the juice from the equation and beat local sportsbook odds. And the market coverage isn’t even comparable – bet365 offers less than 30 sports, while Wazamba provides odds on 50+.
- Reputation – Reputation-wise, local betting sites licensed by Australian gambling bodies are way more renowned. However, international betting sites like Slottica and Wazamba operate for many years and across numerous markets, slowly but surely catching up. You won’t find a negative review online, making all listed operators top-notch in that regard.
This guide should have helped resolve all things online sports betting. On top of that, we have provided a round-up of the best Australian betting sites that perform great across the board. It shouldn’t take you over a few minutes to pick your odds and set your bet with any of these platforms.
No matter the betting agency you select, it is paramount that you understand the nuances relating to this activity and how to conduct it safely. All local gambling authorities which you can turn to for help have been listed on this page, so don’t hesitate to reach out for help if you need to.
- About the Author
- Affiliate Disclosure
Michael has reviewed and verified all information on this page. Having worked in the iGaming industry for over 8 years, he is the most capable person to help you navigate online casinos, pokies, and the Australian gambling landscape.