Opening an online casino account in Australia might sound like child’s play to some readers, but it does entail some requirements that might create a problem for rookies. Especially those unfamiliar with long registration forms at online merchants.
Usually, online casinos in Australia make it very easy to create an account since they cannot wait to get new customers. However, as a player, you must ensure you complete the process to the letter; otherwise, you might face problems when trying to verify your account to withdraw your winnings.
This guide will help you complete every step correctly, source you with legit online casinos worth signing up for, and explain why you must complete these steps. Along the way, we will explain if opening an online casino and playing pokies, roulette, poker, blackjack, or other casino games is legal in Australia.
What you will need to create an online casino in Australia
Anyone over 18 years old can sign up with an online casino and play their favourite games from home. These are available for free and for real money, depending on the casino you register with. If based in Australia, the following are the only documents you will need for the whole process:
- Email address
- ID or Passport
- Recent utility bill or phone bill
- Bank statement or proof that you are the owner of the banking option you are planning to use
Having the above at hand and completing the following steps is all you need to set up a new casino account.
Steps Required to Register at an Online Casino
We will take each step in turn, but here is a quick overview of the online casino registration procedure:
- Pick an Australian online casino site
- Sign up with your primary details
- Provide the additional information
- Verify your casino account
- Deposit to play for real money or play free online casino games instantly
#1 Select an Online Casino Accepting Australian Players
You can pick any of the above online casinos to register with from Australia. These sites are licensed by the Government of Curacao, the only iGaming authority allowing operations Down Under. Players from Australia who are 18 or over are accepted.
Our team has benchmarked each of the above to ensure your details are safe and that you can promptly withdraw your winnings after you verify your casino account.
Of course, each player has different priorities, and not all online casinos cater to all needs. For instance, 5Gringos Casino is excellent for players who like real money pokies from an extensive range of developers, while regular players prefer FairGo Casino for its bonus codes.
To discover additional details for all listed online casinos, outside safety, security, and licensing requirements which they all meet, you can tap to read our in-depth and honest reviews.
#2 Click the Sign Up or Register Button
By following the first step, you will end up on the online casino’s homepage. From there, you can have a look around to see if your expectations are met, or you can continue to open an account instantly. A Sign Up or Register button will be promptly highlighted on the screen’s center or top-right/left, depending on the operator.
After you click on this, you will be asked to provide your email address, username, and password and confirm the latter. You must provide these accurately and take note of them. You will be asked to enter these details every time you log in, so select something easy to memorize. Click to continue.
#3 Provide the Necessary Information
The second form is where the casino requests additional details. These are all sensitive personal information, but they are asked so that the operator knows you are a real person, that you don’t have another account with them, and that you meet the registration requirements. There is no reason to worry about your details remaining private since all our recommended platforms are safe and commit to players’ protection.
The information all Australian online casinos ask for at this stage includes:
- Date of birth
- Full name
- Father’s and/or mother’s name
- Address details and ZIP code
- Phone number
- Promo code (optional)
The latter is not always required since our page links often instantly qualify you for the casinos’ welcome bonuses. Our banners will indicate otherwise. The rest are requested as part of the Know Your Customer Policy, which is imposed on all gambling operators to protect them against Anti-Money Laundering activities and from accepting minors.
When you input all the above correctly, you can click to continue to the third and last step, where you must tick two or three boxes, depending on the operator:
- Confirm that the provided details are accurate
- Opt-in for marketing emails, like promotions, etc. (not always applicable)
- Agree to the casino’s terms and conditions
#4 Verify your Casino Account
The account verification procedure is not something online casinos impose, but regulatory and Government authorities. This is a measure against money laundering activities and to protect underaged people from gambling. Nowadays, it is apparent in all banking methods, too.
Two verification steps are asked at online casinos. The first is simple and can be completed by you instantly after opening an online casino in Australia:
- Email verification – an email will be sent by the casino, which you must open and tap on the verification link to activate your online account
- Phone verification – a code will be sent as a text message which you must enter into the designated field to confirm your registered mobile number
Both take a minute or so and are all it takes to begin playing online casino games. Often, casinos only conduct email verification.
From there, we advise players to continue with their account details verification procedure to ensure they won’t face any issues when trying to withdraw funds. This process, as registration, must be completed once, and all follow-up withdrawals will be processed instantly. The KYC casino verification asks for:
- Photo of your ID or Passport to verify your full name
- Bank statement or picture of your credit card to verify the banking account or card you are planning to use; the statement can also be from eWallets if you are planning to use such methods to gamble online
- Recent utility bill (3 months) or phone bill to prove your address; Australian casinos are not open to all jurisdictions
- For credit card players only: Credit card authorization form; this can be downloaded from the online casino, and you can attach the signed copy if you are planning to use a credit card for online gambling
The documents can be uploaded to the new casino account section or sent to the customer support team. After they review them (the information must be clearly displayed), your account is fully active, and you cannot only play games and deposit but also withdraw money instantly.
#5 Pick a Mode to Play Online
At this stage, players can choose to play free online pokies in the demo mode. This is great for practice and doesn’t require adding money to your account. There is no way to win money when playing in this mode.
No-deposit casino sites offer another option. If you opt-in for one of those casino sites we listed above, a free chip or no deposit free spins will be added after registration. You can use these to play real money pokies for a chance at real money without spending any.
The last and most popular route is adding money to your casino account. The lowest minimum casino deposit is often A$10, and you can use debit or credit cards, prepaid cards, eWallets, or cryptocurrency. Neosurf, MasterCard, Visa, PayPal, PayID, Bitcoin, etc., are some of the commonly supported methods. You can complete this process instantly via the cashier section.
Depositing funds is how you can claim real money pokies bonuses and stand a better chance to win large amounts of money to then withdraw to your bank or cash app.
Is Online Casino Gambling Legal in Australia?
Players who are over 18 years old can quickly sign up for an online casino account and play games. Still, online casino games are not yet legal due to 2001’s Interactive Gambling Act. This legislation makes it illegal for operators to accept players from Australia or advertise their services Down Under.
However, Curacao-licensed casinos are not restricted from accepting players from Australia. Such sites face potential fines or block from Google Search Results, but you are not in danger as a player. And the good news is that sites accepting Australians are still licensed, legal, and safe to play at.
Nonetheless, betting sites are licensed by Australia’s gaming authority – the Northern Territory Racing Commission – and do not break any laws for accepting Australians. You could be better off there if you are not interested in real money casino games. Here is the list of licensed betting sites.
Problems Logging in or Signing up at an Online Casino
By following our registration guide for online casinos, you will never face any issues logging in or creating an account. Still, some problems with online casinos might arise due to the following:
- Using a VPN for online casino gambling; is not recommended since you won’t be able to verify your account.
- Problems with your internet connection or data; double-check this and try restarting your router.
- Wrong login details; tap on the forgot password option and reset your credentials.
- Cannot find the online casino; if you have played on the online casino before, it could be that it is banned by ACMA, Australia’s online content watchdog. For problems logging in to your account, for this reason, you would need to wait a day or two for the online casino to migrate to a new domain. This won’t affect your balance or details, so just be patient. ThePokies.net, Spinago Casino, King Johnnie Casino, and FairGo Casino are platforms where such issues appear almost every month.
- Website blocked for Australia; if you get a message saying you cannot access this online casino from Australia, you shouldn’t try to bypass it. Just pick another operator from our list, which accepts players from this jurisdiction.
Withdrawing From an Online Casino in Australia
You can withdraw from an online casino easily, as long as you follow the outlined steps to set up your casino account correctly and have verified it. Here is how you can quickly cash out:
- Visit the account cashier section
- Click on one of the supported banking methods; for speed, opt-in for the same method you used to deposit
- Enter the amount and banking details, and complete the cash-out procedure
You should receive a confirmation email after you follow the above, and the money will be in your bank account within 24 hours to 5 business days. This will depend on the casino’s processing times and selected banking method.
Online gambling in Australia is not as simple as in countries like the USA, UK, or Canada, where online casinos are licensed and regulated by official authorities. Here, it would help if you found operators that will allow you to open an account legally. There are several listed on this page.
After you visit your preferred one, you should follow the outlined steps and create an official casino account. Don’t skip the verification process to avoid issues later on.
The information in this guide should equip you with everything you will ever need to gamble online without issues in Australia. And don’t forget to claim the welcome bonus to play pokies with better winning chances!
- About the Author
- Affiliate Disclosure
Michael has reviewed and verified all information on this page. Having worked in the iGaming industry for over 8 years, he is the most capable person to help you navigate online casinos, pokies, and the Australian gambling landscape.