Online Casino and Free Slots Tournaments Australia: Running in 2023
Online pokies are considered single player game, and for the most part there are. Tournaments and competitions are mostly associated with gambling games like poker. However, a way that slot machine has always been a competitive sport can be understood through progressive jackpots; where players spun the reels of their favourite pokies competing for the top prize as it increased.
Slots tournaments are based on a similar premise, although some do not involve a progressive prize, rather fixed. For casinos and software providers that run stunning tourneys that can get you more cash for the same bets that you always place, read through these pokies tournaments review page.
What is an online slot tournament?
An online pokies tournament is a competition amongst players of a single casino site, who wager on specific slots to gather the most points. Those that end up with the highest place on the leaderboard win the tournament prize. Slots tournaments are very competitive due to their time-limits, as well as the fact that players that participate are publicly listed along with their accumulated points.
Tournaments were really common in physical casinos too, but the online sphere has removed the space boundaries, so an unlimited amount of players can participate, which leads to prizes that can be very high, as long as you play on a busy casino.
How do casino slot tournaments work in Australia?
In simple words, a slot tournament is announced with a set starting and end date, with the qualifying games announced. Players have to wager money on the selected pokies, with the fee to participate in the tournament depending on the host. Most casinos listed on this page also host freeroll slot tournaments where players from Australia can participate by opting in.
Based on the accumulated points at the finish point, players will win cash, free spins or a combination of the above. Some tournaments will award players CPs, which can then be exchanged for cash or rewards. In most cases, tourney prizes come without any wagering requirements, which means that they are instantly withdrawable.
Types of Pokies Tournaments Available Online
Each casino has its very distinct marketing team, which decides how to organize the tournament, how to brand it, the prizes and the overall type. Below, we are summarizing the most common slots tournaments in the world of iGambling:
- New Players Tournaments: Besides welcome offers, online casinos often try to add more perks to incentivize new registrations; and tourneys only for the newbies are a good way. Still, the prizes here tend to be small, with often a maximum of $1,000 prize pool or less.
- VIP Tournaments: In contrast, tourneys that are only playable by the platform’s high rollers are often very competitive, with rewards exceeding $10,000 on big networks.
- Buy-in: Most tournaments require a participating fee, which is were the casino will accumulate the total prize that is awarded in the end. Fees can be as low as $0.10 to $10 or more.
- Freeroll Slot Tournaments: The best tournaments are the ones that do not require an entry fee, rather, allowing players to participate by just wagering on the right games.
- Casino Developers Tournaments: These are becoming increasingly popular, especially after the sheer amount of impressions that Pragmatic Play’s Drops and Wins tourney has accumulated. To be honest, there is no better way for a provider to advertise its products.
- Slots Races: These tournaments are programmed by the online casinos, with a small entry fee and a single qualifying game for each. The rewards are not that high, although the prize pool is progressive, increasing according to the amount of participating players. Slots Races tend to last 30 mins to 5 hours in most cases.
- Daily Tournaments: Similarly to slots races, the daily tournaments rarely exceed prizes of $1,000, as the number of players is not that big.
- Weekly Tournaments: With this category, things start to get serious. Weekly tournaments can pay 5,000 free spins or more to the winners, or cash prizes that exceed $10,000. In most instances, an entry fee is required to participate.
- Monthly Tournaments: These are similar to the above category, with the prizes and fees being even bigger.
- Holidays Tournaments: Almost all online casinos launch promotional campaigns or periodical tournaments for slots players during the holidays, with often spectacular prizes.
Selecting the Best Online Casino Tournaments
There are a few elements that play into the selection of the best slots tournament, which will list below so you know how to choose correctly:
- Schedule – even if a gaming tournament is splendid, if you cannot play during those hours, then it is not worth opting in. It is important that you have a lot of free time during the tournament prize, so that you can monitor your position and the points that your competitors have.
- Fee – it is expected that the tournaments that require a fee will offer better prizes, but there is a lot of variation between the prizes from one tournament to another. Depending on whether you want to pay an entry fee or not, you must research accordingly.
- Prize Pool – the prize of the slots tournament is the next most important factor. If you are going to win pennies, why even bother? See the prizes, consider how much you would have to spend, calculate your odds, and then decide whether you should opt in for a casino tournament or not.
- Qualifying Games – to win a slots a tournament you will have to play for long periods. Therefore, it is important to fancy the selected slots that can get you to the first place, otherwise you will not really enjoy the process.
- Casino Size – depending on your favourite online casino, tournaments might be amazing or terrible. If the platform that you play at doesn’t have many active real money players, then there is no way that their tournaments are going to be worthwhile. Thus, keep in mind that no deposit casinos that might seem popular are not really the best places for competitive gambling.
- Terms & Conditions – last but not least, the Ts & Cs attached to the entry requirements, rankings and prizes are very important. You must read them carefully, since you could finish in the first or second place but miss the prize. For instance, Playson’s current tournament requires a real money bet on the qualifying slots after the end of the tournament to win the prize that you have already qualified for. How crazy is that?
Ongoing Free Slot Tournaments at Australian Online Casinos
Timed tournaments and slots races are very common across most Aussie casino sites, so indifferently to the platform, you will find something worthwhile. However, the best prizes are offered on the tournaments organized by slots developers, with the following being the most lucrative ongoing ones:
- Eyecon runs a long-standing tournament where players can win £1,000 by wagering on Fluffy Favourites slot games weekly, every Friday – going with the name Fluffy Fridays.
- Microgaming casinos are renowned for their tournaments. The developer allows the site to employ Sit and Go, Scheduled and Private tournaments, as they see fit.
- Yggdrasil runs many tournaments throughout the year, but the best one runs during Christmas on selected casinos. There is a total prize pool of $250,00, which is separated on a range of events that you can participate by playing their games, like Jackpot Raiders, Holmes and the Stolen Stores, 9K Yeti etc.
- The Weekly Madness tourney by Playson is also a solid one, with $60,000 prize pool. 15 games can qualify you for the prize, including Solar Queen, Spirit of Egypt Hold and Win and Buffalo Power Megaways.
- Pragmatic Play’s Drops and Wins tourney is the most long-standing, running for over a year now. With a total monthly prize pool of $1,000,000, players across the Network can win by wagering on its live dealer games and selected slots.
- iSoftBet has also its own unique tournaments, which are offered at exclusively powered online casinos. The prizes are awarded to players who try their luck on Might Stallion Hold and Win, Book of Cai Shen, Extra Gold Megaways and others.
- Playtech is a huge progressive jackpot network, but it is not the most innovative when it comes to its tourneys. Still, some online platforms host exclusive Playtech tournaments for slots games, although these tend to be available in Europe.
- Quickspin Festival was first started in 2019, with a $50,000 prize pool that is awarded to competitors within a month. Nonetheless, there is still not news whether they will run a new one anytime soon.
Try to play at online casinos that run these promotions, as you can opt in for free in most cases and have a chance at millions. Essentially, all the networked tournaments by developers are free rolls, where players have to play selected games and wager from an amount and above, usually $0.50 per spin. Choosing the right casino is important though, as only bigger brands run the tourneys that their providers offer.
Strategy and tips to Win Pokies Tournaments & Races
In most cases, you will have to be the highest roller to win a slots tournament, but there are a few rules that you could take into account and manage to land the top prize without necessarily spending the most.
- Check the tournaments rules: Many people fail to read the details of each tournament, ending up wasting money away or not playing the right games. In many cases, the time spent on a slot could give you points, while on other instances, the money wagered count the most.
- Bet accordingly: Placing the right bets and on the selected games is the most important step to winning the tournament.
- Keep track of the situation: Often, players will get carried away and continue betting on the tournament slot machines, although the prize is yours already. If you have surpassed the competition by far, there is a good reason to stop wagering more funds.
- Only opt in for tournaments you can win: If you can barely wager enough to participate in a tournament or have a very limited bankroll, then it is not worth limiting yourself to the qualifying games of the tournament. Nevertheless, even a $10 bankroll could get you to the top place if you are lucky. Luck is the most important element of all gambling games at the end of the day.
- Gamble responsibly: Don’t be the type of player who keeps adding cash to their casino account so that they maintain the first place of the tournament or try to outplay the competition. Playing on tournaments doesn’t mean that you should bet more than you do, neither you should spend $10,000 to win a $500 prize pool.
Where can I participate in Online Slots Tournaments?
Pretty much all online casinos offer some type of tournament. Single provider casinos will often run races or their own form of tourneys, while bigger casinos tend to run the developers’ networked tournaments that refresh every week or month in most cases. To get started, why don’t you join one of the best casinos that are safe and filled with tournaments?
- Lady Hammer Casino runs its own Fight Club Tournaments, with prize pools starting at $10, $100, $1,000 and $5,000 or more!
- Spinaru runs a weekly tournament with $2,000 for the top 20 players, while the Daily Jackpot Drops tourney by Red Tiger Gaming is up and running too!
- Surf at this casino for a prize pool of $25,000 through its very own marketing team!
- At Casino Chan, players can take part in the Drops and Wins tourney by Pragmatic Play or participate in its regular tournaments that offer cash prizes and free spins, such as Coins Splash and the Sprint!
- $3,000 and 800 free spins are the prize pool over at Woo Casino, which is won by a lucky player weekly!
Discover more casino sites with free prizes and tournaments today!
- About the Author
- Affiliate Disclosure
Michael has reviewed and verified all information on this page. Having worked in the iGaming industry for over 8 years, he is the most capable person to help you navigate online casinos, pokies, and the Australian gambling landscape.